Monday, February 3, 2020

Week 2: Student Turtoring

Good morning!

I am super excited to talk about the second week of classes I had and the chain of events that has happened! Last week I started student tutoring at the Civic Center in Zanesville. I was super nervous on Monday, because it was my first time ever tutoring before. I was set up to help fourth through sixth graders with their math homework. I found helping them very fun, but I really learned a lot while I was helping them.

The way that the teach math is so different now. I had to help a little girl with long division, she was so smart! She learned long division in a completely different way than I was originally taught. This was challenging for me because she had to teach me how to division with her method before I could actually begin to help. The both of us ended up working super well together and that mad me feel so fulfilled. She told me that math wasn't her favorite subject but she liked doing math with me, and later that week she ended up calling me her new best friend. It made my heart completely melt!

I have also mentioned previously in my blog that along with my math education major, I also plan on a theatre major. I am currently in a production called Living Dead in Denmark. I play one of the female leads, the rather brutish Lady Macbeth. The best way to describe this show is "Zombie Hamlet" and my character gets to kill a lot of zombies. So this past week I have been learning how to do stage combat. The way of making it look like you're hurting someone, but being super safe about it in the process! Rehearsals have just been a ton of fun! I learned that I get a (fake) battle hammer! I am living in an action movie! It has been so much fun working with my fellow cast members to learn how to fight in a safe manner. I don't know about the stage combat part of theatre, but I definitely think the teamwork part of theatre will come in handy when I work in the classroom in the future.

Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 10: Staying at Home, but Trying to Have Fun

Hello all, As you know I've have been very strict about what we have been doing for social distancing. This week I worked on a few ass...